Tuesday, December 20, 2011

On Asking the "Right" Question

Only that day dawns to which we are awake. - Thoreau, Walden 
Watch, for you do not know when the master of the house will come, in the evening, or at midnight, or at cockcrow, or in the morning, lest he come suddenly and find you asleep. - Mark 13:35, 36 
When the Buddha started to wander around India shortly after his enlightenment, he encountered several men who recognized him to be a very extraordinary being. They asked him: "Are you a god?" "No," he replied. "Are you a reincarnation of god?" "No," he replied."Are you a wizard, then?" "No.""Well, are you a man?" "No." "So what are you?" They asked, being very perplexed.  Buddha simply replied: "I am awake."
For many years I worried about whether or not I was saved.  Now, I try to notice whether or not I am awake.  One day (one moment? eternity?), I will neither notice, nor be asleep.  


The good news: if Thoreau is right, I'm much younger than I appear!  

No comments: